Thursday, June 5, 2008

(Sit on My) Facebook




Ok, I'm coming up on 200 'friends' on Facebook.

This is ... an empty milestone, really. It's partly exciting - there's a certain twitch in my slow muscle fibres that is lethargically convulsing from the distant memory of a failed Myspace page attempt. I can't remember what I called my page. It certainly wasn't my ACTUAL name. It was something that I thought was clever, no doubt. (Maybe something like 'Meet me in San Juan' or 'Tumbleweed') I had about 6 friends (all of whom were bands or famous folk). NONE of my friends had a Myspace page. I was somewhat disappointed. I'm quite unsure exactly why. In fact, I had one 'friend', a guy named Stanley Paulzen from a band called Fred Astereo who told me he 'rated' me. I was his top friend! And he had a couple of hundred. Wow, I felt special for a minute there. He also told me that he found it very curious that I had minimal friends and he was the first to 'comment' me.

So, that was my Myspace experience. I was rated. Then I dropped off the radar altogether.

Here's what it's all about really. This from the 'All Men Are Liars' blog today:


"This is about the girl in her bedroom who poses in front of the camera she's awkwardly holding in her outstretched hand," wrote Mayer on his tour blog recently.

"She'll take a hundred photos until coming up with one she's happy with, which inevitably looks nothing like her, and after she's done poring over images of herself, will post one on her myspace page and then write something like "I don't give a f*ck what you think about me."

That's pretty much it, isn't it? You and I were discussing the merits *cough* of FB and couldn't think of much to say. (In fact, there are many good things about FB - meeting old friends again has to be at #1)

What's my point? My point is that I have 198 friends. I thought I'd trawl through them and break them into groups.

Old School Mates: 66
Old Work Mates: 28
Family: 17
Famous Folk: 6
Work Colleagues: 11
Friends of Friends: 24
Random and Travel: 30

And, Actual Friends: 15

I think I'm missing one -oh yes, the fish. Hmph.
Yay for my 15 actual friends! Once I hit 200, think I might CULL.

This is all I can manage this week, cunt. I love you.

Fk it! The vid will not load. Next time.

x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm 'friends' with a hat and your fish. Last week I received a friend request from a dog. I rejected. This morning, some rotund woman named Wendy from Perth asked to be my friend... I sent her a polite "I think you have the wrong LM" message.

A (real) friend of mine has numerous myspace band related pages (you've seen one of them) - she told me that she often gets comments (like "beautiful") posted on her photos and blogs from random Israeli 'gentlemen' surfing the internet for a western bride.

In some ways, I think I would like to drop off the FB planet. BUT it's the only means I have of contacting some friends OS and interstate. And meeting old friends is always a good thing.