Monday, May 26, 2008

MimiCRY

Children learn most naturally by imitation. In their manner of speech and walking, in their habits of thought and feeling, in their grasp of their native language, imitation is one of the foundational laws of learning. And that which is acquired through imitation lies close to the bone. The principle does not change with age, but it does become harder to apply because of adult pride, and slows down because of adult "settledness."’ – Douglas Wilson (Vol 14, Issue 1: Childer)

Imitation – the sincerest form of flattery? Well, yes, probably in the realm of adulthood. I’ve found myself imitating a laugh, a phrase, a certain twitch of the mouth in speech that I have seen and liked in others.

I sneeze just like my mother. I don’t know if this is learned. She has always sneezed in the same way – two short sharp bursts. I don’t always sneeze twice, but my sneeze sounds the same as mum’s.

Something that I’m not sure of is my imitation of the things some people do that I don’t particularly like or wish to emulate. But I find myself doing it anyway. The way my flatmate sighs when she comes inside, the sharp inhalation of breath that one of my colleagues has just before she’s about to explain something, a hiccough noise of another colleague after he’s had lunch. I don’t really understand why I do that. I am conscious that I’m doing it, but I don’t know why.

Am I learning? Unsettled?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*attention-seeking-sigh*

It's difficult not to mimic mannerisms when you're two peas joined at the virtual hip and living in a virtual pod. Don't you think, cunt?

*blush*

Behaviour is learned, no doubt about it.